Attention! Mac or Linux user, a good news coming to your side as the Wine team recently announced the stable release of Wine 2.0. The latest version of Wine Linux is available for download from 1st of February.
As wine was always important for Linux, Ubuntu or Mac users and the availability of Wine 2.0 is a news that I think everyone was waiting for. Since Wine 2.0 was under development for more than a year, it seems like we are going to get something cool and exciting features in the Wine Linux latest version. The Wine is a super important software for Wine Linux versions like Ubuntu, Fedora etc. and the Wine Mac Users. As with the help of this software, you can enjoy and quickly install windows software on your Linux or Mac PC.
Features of Wine 2.0:
- GStreamer version 1.0 is supported for audio and video streams.
- D3DX 9 effect framework support is complete and advance.
- WoW!.. Web Services API is supported in Wine 2.0.
- More Direct3D 10 and 11 features are implemented.
- Wine 2.0 also supports Microsoft Office 2013.
- WineD3D graphics card database recognizes more graphics cards.
- The taskbar displays running applications and allows switching between them in the Desktop mode of Wine 2.0.
- GDI graphic paths are reimplemented for better compatibility; they are also supported with enhanced metafiles.
- Make SOAP Calls support is available in Wine 2.0
- Bullet & Numbered lists are now supported in Wine 2.0 using the RichEdit control.
- Gecko engine is updated to the latest version for more support.
- Write large files in XML in a more fast way.
- Japanese Hiragana, Katakana, and Full-width/Half-width character mapping is implemented
- MacOS will support now 64-bit applications using Wine 2.0
- C++ exceptions are handled correctly on x86-64
- Wine 2.0 has implemented various new API Set libraries (the oddly-named API-ms-win-* dlls).
- Wineconsole – Easily supports East-Asian fonts, as well as color handling, is taken to a new level.
- Various Bug Fixes of Wine 1.8 version in the latest version of Wine Linux.
and many more features are kept in mind while developing Wine 2.0.
How to install Wine 2.0 on Ubuntu?
Users can install wine 2.0 using its official PPA (Personal Package Archive).
Let’s check this how:
First of all update, your Ubuntu or Linux system (if not updated) with unsupported packages from this official Wine builds PPA.
Step 1: Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
Step 2: Once you have added the PPA you can now install the latest stable release using the commands below:
sudo apt update sudo apt install winehq-devel
That’s it!. you are done with the installation process.
Now it’s time to take the use of wine 2.0 as it is loaded with tons of features and many bug fixes. Enjoy Wine 2.0 with all the great features in Ubuntu.
You want to remove or uninstall Wine 2.0 (probably not but in case):
Here’s How to Uninstall Wine 2.0:
To remove Wine 2.0 just open the terminal and run the following commands:
sudo apt remove wine2.0 wine-staging sudo apt autoremove